Friday, May 30, 2008

Boomer Angst

I'm already on record as not being particularly a fan of my own Baby Boomer generation. We're a bunch of Peter Pans; we've never wanted to grow up and, despite our balding heads and bulging bellies, we never have. I break out in a cold sweat in the middle of the night when I contempate that fact that Boomers are running both my church and my country, and generally making a mess of both.

Fellow-Boomer Victor Davis Hanson, whom I am not familiar with but who apparently writes for National Review, has rather lucidly explicated the failings of our generation here. (Hat tip to T19.) Read it and weep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having met Professor Hansen once in my lifetime as he signed his book Carnage & Culture for me some 5 years ago and have listened to a lecture he gave here in Fresno at the University where he teaches, I have to say that he is spot on and says it quite plainly in no vague terms. He has a wonderful gift of being able to seperate the truth from the fiction and putting all the facts into a collective whole that gives clarity. I highly recommend any of his books for a good summers read.
ODC

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really enjoyed that, hope that others agree also.

Unknown said...

For trivia buffs,Victor Hansen was a consultant for the blockbuster movie "300".

Anonymous said...

I also liked this article. I think the boomers had it so good that they became complacent politically. Since they had no pressing political concerns, a culture of voting on wedge issues and against traditional political interests emerged. Hopefully that will change now that things aren’t so rosy anymore...

Anonymous said...

hi there. enjoyed this blog, thanks!